Monday, November 17, 2008

Art Article of the Year:The Magic Easel






For years I have desired to give accolades to local publications for well written and informative articles. Now I have a forum and I will indulge myself. The Chicago Reader cover story of Thursday, October 23rd not just caught my eye, but entangled my thinking process for the next several months. The intriguing photo held me captive until I read and re-read the story. Not only was this piece thorough and well researched, but the back story had an immense amount of information on the topic as well, thanks to the competent writing of Damien James. He documents twin brothers Trevor and Ryan Oakes inventing a new way to draw. At first I thought this was a gimmick, but the story is so concise and the theories are so well explained, you begin to feel as if you are a part of something huge. And you are. Great chronicles are supposed to make you feel that way. I salute Mr. James for such a historically accurate and engaging piece of reporting.

I suggest everyone go read this article for yourself. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for the props, you.